Sunday, July 25, 2010

Biting My Tongue in Two

Man, being the bigger person can be hell.

So, I have a friend who gushes about someone...and that someone has totally trashed her on several occasions, both in public and private, and (probably stupidly) through e-mail. And I can't say a goddamned thing about it.

Why? It wouldn't do any good. It would just make me look petty and vindictive. Of course, this isn't the first time this has happened...and not even with this friend, with other friends who are just as duped. The one time I almost said something was to a local Artistic Director and he very politely, and pointedly, didn't want to hear it. In fact, I distinctly got the impression he knew exactly what I was hemming and hawing about (people talk, boy do they ever) but wanted to stay out of it. I think he said something along the lines of wanting to like this particular person. I can respect that, so I shut my lip and didn't say another word.

But I very genuinely like this friend, she is incredibly sweet and good-natured. I hate to think that this particular person might still be trashing her behind her back (who knows, maybe this someone had a change of heart, but I somehow doubt it).

I'm going to do what is hardest to do, I think, and stay out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment