Thursday, October 28, 2010

Turning 30 Was...

Kind of a let down.

There was no big transformation. I didn't feel like I was leaving behind an era to embrace another. It was just--well, it was just Wednesday. And I had a cold.

I ruined a surprise party in my honor. I started to feel ill, depressed and even ended up throwing up a little. I changed into my PJs, intent on spending the remainder of my 20s (which was about 6 hours) in bed or on the couch. My husband caught sight of me and said, "Uh oh. Should I cancel your surprise party?"

I thought he was joking! He wasn't.

This put me in a weird position--I felt like crap and really didn't want to see anyone, but I was so very touched that everyone cared! So he ended up having to call, text, Facebook everyone he had invited to un-invite them and I felt like a jackass. But I'm glad he didn't just go ahead with the plan with me in my PJs, sick to my stomach. I cried off and on all day (birthdays are hard, and being sick for a week leading up to one SUCKED) and then when I found out about the party I cried even harder.

So I felt like a complete asshole. But loved at the same time. A truly weird feeling, if you haven't been lucky enough to experience it.

1 comment:

  1. It also explained why he had cleaned up the house the day before. I thought that was part of my birthday present!

    ReplyDelete