Thursday, September 2, 2010

WARNING: Venting, Venting, Venting

Actually this won't be nearly as interesting as that title makes it sound.

I'm getting kind of sick of people. All people. Everywhere. But kinda specifically (ha, that's an interesting phrase) people on Twitter.

I originally started Tweeting as an avenue to vent and say things I no longer felt comfy saying on Facebook. Of course, then I started getting a bit of a following and now everytime I say anything SLIGHTLY negative someone feels the need to argue and name call and basically turn into a pissy bitch. I don't try to start arguments, but I DO state my opinion. And yeah, sometimes it's brutal: it's my opinion. It's my truth. It's what I think. I'm not censoring it for you.

Except now, maybe I am. Maybe I have to be just as stupidly circumspect and politically correct as I do on Facebook. And frankly, that P.I.S.S.E.S. me off! Where do I get to vent and judge and be nasty? (And c'mon, don't be judgey at that statement...you *know* we all need to do that from time to time.)

Poo. Well, one thing it is teaching me is to be a bigger person and try to let shit roll off my back. Stuff that would have previously sent me running to the tissue box, or feeling like everyone in the world hated me, now just leaves me feeling a bit sad but over it about as quickly as it starts. I guess I'm building a shell. Also, I've learned that the best way to defuse a situation isn't comedy...it's an apology. Even if it isn't earned or deserved. But I think most people act out based on things like fear, insecurity, hurt feelings and if you acknowledge those feelings and say that you are sorry they are feeling that way, it seems to go a long way toward realizing that they're human and making them realize that you're human, too.

Plus, they get to feel like a big person for accepting your apology and letting bygones be bygones.

Social media is exhausting, and frustrating, but I think as I modify my approach to it I'm actually becoming a better person. I try not to subscribe to the idea that I always need to be right. I  just always need to feel like I'm doing the right thing by myself. That I am living up to my potential and my self-image as a good human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment